I was so happy when I created a gluten free version of my mother-in-laws chicken enchilada casserole. We made multiple to put in the freezer and I was trilled to have healthy easy meals in my freezer once again. Then I decided it was time to be a little more strict. I know that corn and dairy bother me:( So the next time my kids asked for chicken enchilada casserole, I decided to step up to the challenge…a Paleo version. It seemed impossible at first. How was I going to get the creaminess of the sour cream, the tastiness of the refried beans and the texture of the tortillas? I DID IT!!!!
This recipe is soooooo tasty and totally good for you. I didn’t feel at all deprived as my kids snacked on their GF version. The coconut cream gave enough creaminess without the coconut flavor. The zucchini gave the texture of the tortillas without any veggie flavor. And the extra chilies gave enough zing to make me forget about the beans. This recipe is a must try.
Paleo Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 1 chicken, roasted (can use a rotisserie or cooked chicken breasts)
- 2 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 cans diced green chilies
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 zucchini, cut into strips to form noodles
- 1 can green enchilada sauce
- Remove chicken from the bones and shred or cube. Place into a medium size bowl.
- Add coconut cream, chicken stock, chilies, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the middle of a zucchini noodle, roll, and place into a glass pie pan. Repeat until all chicken mixture is used. (You may also layer this more like a lasagna if you prefer.)
- Pour enchilada sauce over entire pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
Diet (other): Gluten free Dairy free, Paleo, Whole 30
Microformatting by hRecipe.